How Music Influences our lives (Part 1) – down to the very foundation of our beings, to the means of which we talk, perform react to situations, dress, view life and influence our choices. I think that subconsciously it does impact every individual greatly. The quote, “You are what you eat” I believe applies to music too, “You are what you listen to!” I have always been a person who loves analyzing people and their actions, I can tell from the bat how a person is by the initial impression or appearance (most of the time) –it’s an art. Hehe.
Well, I guess people’s behavior seemed to intrigue me and I tend to make little schemas in my head and joint down “notes” about people’s personality or mannerisms and use those “findings” to generate a sort of image or idea of who this person was. (This is when psychology comes in handy) I was usually right when I made my assumptions…which helped me in various situations requiring good judgment and keen sense of figuring out characters.
Anyways, I also have this “talent” for matching a person’s favorite songs/artists to their personality or interests. I can tell almost all I need to know from an individual’s Playlists or music taste. Sometimes I can even tell what a person listens to just by looking at them and observing their actions/dressing and gesticulation. I do not get this 100% correct every single time – but…It does end up pretty accurate! Haha. I have always been a person who found music to be a great necessary force on earth and has an unexplainable gravitational power that brings multitudes of people together. Therefore, whenever I ask someone who is your fav singer? I can basically get the full gist of a human being from a couple of songs described or singers mentioned.
But I do think Music creates perspectives, understandings, dispositions, personal likes and dislikes, opinions and unique qualities that derive from a certain sound or genre. Even the lyrics or melodies we are pulled towards can elaborate so much about a person’s make up and moral fiber. They do say that “the soundtrack of our life can be a window to our soul”, which I agree upon wholly!
So next time you are on a “date” or meeting a new friend – one very important question to ask them would be: “Who are your biggest musical influences and favorite artists/bands?”
You can tell a whole lot about a person from his/her music selection! *trust me*
Maybe if you have any questions about specific genres or singers I would love to help out…*if possible* XD
Cheers!!
I’ll leave you with this video by Fleet Foxes called “Blue Ridge Mountains”
This is probably one of my fav take away show of all time (not because its 8 mins long) but cause of its grainy raw feeling throughout, the artistic direction of the camera angles and positions, the awesome harmonizing of the vocals (beautiful) and the various instrumental parts by the band, the color and outfit just seemed perfect for the timbre delivered by the song, plus I LOVE the European, street side brass band Parisian feel this had! Simple, moving and elegant. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment